Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Oh So Simple Tomato Sauce

I love this sauce. I have used it to add zing to canned spaghetti sauce, as a starter for pizza sauce (add some oregano and onion), and as a topping for chicken Parmesan (I'll post that another time). Last fall I canned a few pints using tomatoes and basil from my garden and it has been so handy and delicious, that I'll be doing a LOT more this year, and hoping to use my own garlic also.

1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
4 cloves minced garlic
1 T tomato paste
1 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1T minced fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper

For a smoother sauce use a blender to chop tomatoes until mostly smooth, set aside. Cook garlic, tomato paste, oil and pepper flakes in a saucepan over medium heat until the tomato paste begins to brown, just a few minutes. Stir in the pureed tomatoes (or chunky if you like) and cook until the sauce is thickened and measures about 2 cups, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat and add basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena